Our HistoryLoreto Convent and School-The History
Loreto Convent was established in 1881 By Most Rev. Dr Nulty. It was made possible by a member of the community of the Mercy Convent, Trim, Sister Frances Kerrigan. Dr Nulty obtained the site from Lord Greville, the landlord of Mullingar.
On 25th March, 1881 three nuns arrived from Loreto Convent Navan, to take charge of the new institution. It began as a day school and by 1900 it had ten boarders.
The convent has been enlarged several times since. August 1960 saw the opening of an extension that included a new hall, dormitories and classrooms.
In the summer of 1995, the convent made some additional space available to the school, enabling the development of a Careers room, a Prayer room and an extra classroom.
On 5th May 2011, Minister Willie Penrose officially turned over the first sod signifying the start of a major extension / refurbishment programme to take place in the Loreto College, Mullingar.
Work has already commenced on site and will include a new gymnasium, new office space- allowing the current office space to be turned into classrooms, new playing fields consisting of a basketball court and Astroturf, the conversion of the existing canteen into science labs and the general refurbishment of the existing school building.
It is hoped that all 750 students and staff will be settled into their new improved school within twelve to eighteen months.